11.25.2008

What's On Your Nightstand? November Edition

Over at 5 Minutes for Books, today they're asking what is on our nightstands for the next month? I read a book every 2 weeks (actually, it's a complicated system). Here's how the next month looks.

This week, finishing:
The Short Stories of F Scott Fitzgerald: I had read Great Gatsby, but didn't even know Fitzgerald was a prolific short story writer. This is a 750 page collection of the best of his short stories. I'm enjoying them more than I enjoyed Gatsby. It's interesting to see how his writing progressed through his life. Most of the stories are very interesting, although some of them seem mired in depression and hopelessness. Highly recommended if you like American Literature.

Miracles, by CS Lewis: A very dense defense of the Christian faith and the plausibility of miracles, especially the miracle of Jesus' birth. Don't be fooled by the Chronicles of Narnia. Lewis wasn't all fun children's stories. This is slowww, philosophical, and hard to understand (for me, at least). Interesting, and I'm determined to finish.
Weeks 2 and 3:
Ragamuffin Gospel, Manning: One of the staples of modern Christian literature. I've wanted to read this for a while. I'll probably finish early, so if I do, I'll finish a book I was reading on how to lead a small group Bible study.

Week 4 (and 5):
Harvard Yard, William Martin: My mom picked this up at an airport last year. She loved it. Apparently it's a cool blend of historical fiction, tying in Shakespeare and Harvard somehow. She's wanted me to read it since she finished it, so I'm finally getting around to it.

So, that's what's on my nightstand this month. I'll probably get through it all, since I'm not working!

What's on yours?

No comments: